Yawgoog's History Milestones
From Camp Yawgoog.Org
Adapted from "CAMP YAWGOOG 1916 - 1990", published by the Yawgoog Alumni Association, plus contributions from other individual Yawgoog alumni.
1907 - 1909
1907 British Lord Robert S. S. Baden-Powell organizes the first Boy Scout Camp on Brownsea Island, off the coast of England, starting the Scouting movement.
1908 Lord S. S. Robert Baden-Powell publishes "Scouting for Boys"
1900 Chicago publisher William D. Boyce lost his way in a dense London fog. A boy came to his aid and, after guiding the man, refused a tip, explaining that as a Scout he would not take a tip for doing a Good Turn. This gesture by an unknown Scout inspired a meeting with Robert Baden-Powell.
1910 - 1919
1910 Baden-Powell's Scout movement takes root in America and Rhode Island. Following his visit with Baden Powell William Boyce incorporated the Boy Scouts of America in the District of Columbia, February 8th. Rhode Island State Scout Committee formed on September 6.
1911 w:Rhode Island Boy Scouts chartered as a State corporation on April 13th. 18-year old Scout Joseph Lane of Providence, RI, joins George S. Barton, of Somerville, Mass., as one of four editors of a new youth magazine called "Boy's Life".
1912 "Boy's Life" moves to Providence, RI with a circulation of ~65,000. Magazine is sold to the Boy Scouts of America. 
1916 RI Boy Scouts open Yawgoog's first camp season. Donald North is Camp Director at the rocky site of the uninhabited 130 acre Palmer Farm on the shores of Yawgoog Pond, about 250 Scouts attend. BSA chartered by Congress, June 15th US Code, Title 36, Section 21, ch. 148, Sec. 1, 39 Stat. 227 - to provide an educational program for boys and young adults to build character, to train in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and to develop personal fitness.
1919 J. Harold Williams serves his first of 43 years as camp Chief. The old Palmer barn becomes the Opry House for camp shows. First camp dining hall, now Reservation trading post, built.
1920 - 1929
1920 Weekly visits by His Regalness, the "King of Yawgoog," result in establishment of the "Knights of Yawgoog," a camp honor society for adult leaders
1921 H. Cushman "Gus" Anthony joins Yawgoog staff as a "Junior Officer" responsible for "Sinks, Incinerators and Wash Stands". "Clean it or burn it".
1922 Dress Parade instituted by West Point cadet Leslie Fletcher.
1923 All summer camp at campsites Tuocs and Oak Ridge established.
1924 Camp divided between "Upper Camp" and "Lower Camp;" Bucklin Lodge, now Sharpe Lodge, also known as the Three Point Dining Hall, built.
1925 King Phillips Island purchased.
1926 Scout Mother's Hospital, presently Three Point Director cabin, built.
1927 "Yawgoog Daily News" (1927-35) and tradition of weekly themes begin. T. Dawson Brown arranges purchase of land for Camp Sandy Beach. Dan Lamb presents Chief Williams with charred remains of hand-hewn bow intended for him - "good medicine".
1928 Colonel G. Edward Buxton, co-founder of Rhode Island Scouting, declares Yawgoog "A Scout Adventureland forever" during dedication of Sandy Beach area. Camp Sandy Beach opened for camping that summer will all-summer pioneer "tepee" camp.
1929 Yawgoog's third dining hall, Rathom Lodge, built and Camp Medicine Bow division established alongside the Camp Three Point division. The Yawgoog Daily News regards the dedication "of supreme importance to every boy who would die with the cry of 'Yawgoog' on his lips.". Saturday Night Shows are held this summer.
1930 - 1939
1930 Yawgoog devastated by forest fire on May 4, 5, 6. Reforestation begins immediately. Narragansett Council, BSA #546, formed when the Greater Providence Council merged with with three other councils in Newport, Pawtucket-Central Falls, and Woonsocket. First "Stockade" (handicraft area) built. Two navy "pulling cutters" added to Yawgoog fleet.
1931 The Bucklin area buildings dedicated on the Fourth of July.
1932 Fort Hilton Trading Post established on Hill 407. Scouts can have 25 cents credit as they hike the Yawgoog trails.
1933 Yawgoog's famous "Slade's Bridge" spans "The Gut" between King Phillips Island and the mainland -- a great attraction until closed in 1946.
1934 history notes wanted
1935 Curtis Tract purchased
1936 Ranger's house built for Inky Armstrong family.
1937 Fort Hilton hike program discontinued; 2,793 Scouts attended camp; first BSA National Scout Jamboree held in Washington, DC; Rhode Island scouts participated in this and every jamboree since.
1938 Following the camp season the "Big Hurricane" of 1938 blew down many trees that had survived the fire of 1930; the lumber for these toppled trees helped build Jesse H. Metcalf Lodge.
1939 Jesse H. Metcalf Lodge, dining hall for Sandy Beach Division, dedicated.
1940 - 1949
1940 22nd annual performance of Barum and Bayrum's Circus held at Bucklin Memorial
1941 January 8th, world Scouting founder and Chief Scout of the World, Baden-Powell died at age 83 years; Armington Memorial Health Lodge built at Yawgoog
1942 Senator and Mrs. w:Jesse H. Metcalf pay the bill for completion of camp water system
1943 America at War, many former Yawgoog staff answer call to serve; Memorial Bell Tower at Three Point dedicated in remembrance of "Scouts who died for God and country;" tradition of respectful silence during its noontime tolling develops.
1944 Growing pains result in opening of three new campsites: Weemat, Pioneer, and Lewis & Clark). Yawgoog hires first resident Registered Nurse.
1946 J. Harold Williams Amphitheater dedicated; Saturday Shows and important ceremonies take place there; Dress Parade field named after Scout Commissioner Tim O'Neil.
1947 "The Geologic Story of Camp Yawgoog," by Eagle Scout and geologist Gerry Richmond, published.
1948 Allan and Stuart Halladay introduce "Chief Yawgoog" totem; "This is Yawgoog," an inspiring "amphitheater spectacle," performed three times to rave reviews
1949 A new and bigger frontier "Stockade" for handicrafts and camp lore constructed with help from Town Criers and Providence Rotary Club
1950 - 1959
1950 John "Johnny Appleseed" Page creates "Totin' Chip" program at Yawgoog; Worship centers for Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant faiths completed; second BSA National Scout Jamboree held in Valley Forge, PA, Chief Williams helped run the jamboree
1951 "Gus" Anthony assumes role as Camp Director as "Chief" Williams presents his pageant "American Days" at World Jamboree; Chief Yawgoog patch with segments established
1952 Benefit swims start; Yawgoog on cover of Boys Life
1953 Water rights to Yawgoog and Wincheck Ponds secured through efforst of T. Dawson Brown; third BSA National Scout Jamboree held in Irvine Ranch, CA
1954 "Adventure Trails" program, featuring overnighters to backwoods skill centers, begins; the first international Scouts at Yawgoog result in show, "A Bridge Across the World"
1955 Yawgoog's 40th season; visiting Israeli Scouts and leaders write that at Yawgoog they found "the true brotherhood of Scouts"
1956 Apprentice-in-Training program begins (precursor to present day CIT program); memorial to beloved Yawgoog leader, Angelo Zuccolo
1957 Workshop and storehouse built; Adams gateway to Protestant Cathedral dedicated; 4th BSA National Scout Jamboree held in Valley Forge, PA, Chief Williams runs big show
1958 Over 1,000 campers during the first week in July; outpost camping really booming!; Wincheck Tribe of Indians becomes Wincheck Lodge, Order of the Arrow; Yawgoog's first Ranger Inky Armstrong retired
1959 After many years of Divisional Commissioner and Director of Program, Ed Micarelli is ordained a priest and becomes Catholic Chaplain; Albert Gunther becomes Yawgoog's second Ranger and Fire Chief, moves into Camp Ranger house with his wife Dianne; season's attendance tops 7,000, including 150,000th Scout
1960 - 1969
1960 Annual camp show is "Birthday Party" in honor of Golden Jubilee of Scouting; 5th National Scout "Golden Jubilee" Jamboree attended by RI Scouts in Colorado Springs, CO
1961 Yawgoog completely refurbished and enlarged with support from "Golden Jubilee Fund;" totem poles, one honoring Yawgoog's early days, the other, "Chief" Williams, erected; 'Charlie Brown' outboard motor boat donated; water skiing added to camp program
1962 "Chief" Williams retires as "Camp Chief;" "Uncle Brad" Field (longtime Director of Medicine Bow), at 80, retires as Camp Factor
1963 Camp Commissioner services introduced; resident doctors begin service at camp, thanks to Dr. Melvin Hoffman
1964 Patrol method emphasized as "Honor Patrol"; pennants awarded; 6th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts Fort at Valley Forge, PA
1965 Yawgoog celebrates its 50th (Golden Jubilee) camping season; Counselor-in-Training ("CIT") program in full swing
1966 "Baden Powell Quality Plus Award" presented to 73 troops; Al Murray's 38th and final official staff season
1967 Program aimed at reaching inner city youth begins with 185 non-Scouts attending camp
1968 "Gus" Anthony retires as Camp Director after 53 years as camper and staffman; final Saturday Show features reminiscences by Gus's "Model T"
1969 Don Fowler, Gus's assistant for 4 years, assumes reins as Director; 7th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts in Farragut State Park, Idaho
1970 - 1979
1970 "Yawgoog Scout Camps" becomes "Yawgoog Scout Reservation;" the three divisions are called "camps"
1971 Phil Tracy becomes Yawgoog Director; "Patrol-Power" program helps promote patrol methods at camp
1972 Fr. Ed Micarelli's 35th and final season as staffman and then Catholic chaplain; Campmaster Corps formed
1973 First harvesting of white pines planted after 1930 fire; 8th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts in Moraine State Park, PA
1974 history notes wanted
1975 King Phillips Wilderness Center ("KPWC"), combining wilderness survival, Indian lore, and nature study, opens on Phillips Island
1976 J. Harold Williams Brotherhood Award established in memoriam; the nation's bicentennial celebrated with gala show week 2; a hurricane warning ushers Scouts to dining halls for a "camp-in" late in summer
1977 Yawgoog's 250,000th Scout passes through T. Dawson Brown gateway; first planting of Yawgoog Christmas trees; 9th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts in Moraine State Park, PA
1978 history notes wanted
1979 International Danish Scout Anders Cosmus Pyndt serves second full year on staff
1980 - 1989
1980 Yawgoog's nature program has a new base in revitalized old Palmer barn; the "Challenge Program," featuring initiative games and "ropes course" activities, begins
1981 Al Mink, longtime Program Director, becomes Yawgoog Director; Gus Anthony founds Alumni Association; over 100 out-of-council troops attend camp; 10th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts at Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia
1982 Scouts from different troops form patrols with staff for fun activities in "Operation Friendship"
1983 Old Palmer barn is razed; nature center given new solar-paneled home
1984 "Handicapped Awareness Trail" ("HAT") established; Black Powder shooting and windsurfing are new programs; Health Lodge refurbished by ranger staff
1985 "Project Quest" high adventure program successfully launched; 246 acres added north of "Anthony Acres"; 11th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts at Fort A. P. Hill, VA
1986 Al Mink's 35th staff summer; Joe Herbold becomes Chair of Alumni; Scouts and staff rescue balloonists on pond
1987 Bill Burns serves first year as Yawgoog Director
1988 Al Gunther's 30th year as Camp Ranger; devoted Yawgoog Scouter and Alumni Treasurer Donald C. Dewing (over 50 years SM of Troop 82 Prov.) dies; the "H. Cushman Anthony Stockade" dedicated
1989 Paul Boisvert becomes Yawgoog's 9th Director; campsite for handicapped Scouts installed at Sandy Beach; crafts pavilions dedicated 12th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts at Fort A. P. Hill, VA
1990 - 1999
1990 Yawgoog celebrates its 75th camping season; August 4th is Diamond Jubilee Day
1991 history notes wanted
1992 Paul Bernetsky becomes Yawgoog's 10th Reservation Director
1994 history notes wanted
1995 Medicine Bow waterfront cabin gets a major refurbishment; A. Richard Greene becomes Yawgoog's 11th Reservation Director; Medicine Bow dining hall gets a new roof; 13th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts at Fort A. P. Hill, VA; Al Gunther retired after 36 years as second Camp Ranger, Fire Chief and EMT
1996 Three Point waterfront cabin gets a major refurbishment. Sandy Beach staff office gets expanded to double its size; Paul Forbes became 3rd Yawgoog Ranger; the Medicine Bow waterfront was redeigned and rebuilt, and dedicated to Ranger Al Gunther
1997 Sandy Beach waterfront gets rebuilt, but keeping intact the 2-story original design -- a bigger, more spacious building is up!; A former staffman creates the first website dedicated to Yawgoog; 14th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts at Fort A. P. Hill, VA
1998 history notes wanted
1999 International Scout exchange program started with Dominican Republic, Emmanuel Gonzalez and Larissa Paniagua hired on Medicine Bow staff
2000 - present
2000 Thomas Sission named first year-round, full-time Yawgoog Reservation Director; two Dominicans staff hired: Giselle Gonz?lez in MB and George Castillo in Sandy Beach
2001 Dominican Scouts staff were George Castillo returning to the Beach and Iv'n Filpo in Three Point; 15th National Scout Jamboree attended by RI Scouts at Fort A. P. Hill, VA
2002 Three Dominican staff were Jonathan de Camps at the Beach, Jose Luis de Cruz at 3-Point, and Dario de Los Santos at the Bow. Challenge Valley, a mud course across from Ashaway opens. Geocaching introduced at Camp Craft with an accompanying GPS segment.
2003 88th Yawgoog season June 29 through August 24, 2003; Medicine Bow kitchen rebuilt; four Dominican staff are Ronny Ventura at 3-Point, Rosmery Rojas and Dario de Los Santos at the Bow, and Jonathan Rojas at the Beach; Paul Forbes recognized for 25 years of Ranger service to Camp Yawgoog; Yawgoog Heritage Center dedicated August 2, 2003 at the Yawgoog Alumni Association reunion; front porch of main Trading Post dedicated to Joe Herbold for his long service to camp on staff and as 2nd Chairman of the Yawgoog Alumni Association (YAA) from 1986 to 2003; Stephen F. Dolan named 3rd YAA chairman.
2004 Porch Built onto Medicine Bow Dining Hall with three new sets of stairs, fire alarm systems fully operational at each dining hall (due to new state fire codes).
2005 Norovirus hits Yawgoog at the end of week four, forcing the closure for week five and six. 16 National Scout Jamboree attended by Rhode Island Scouts at Fort A.P. Hill, VA
2007 Yawgoog starts converting open pit latrines into a sewer system, beginning with Medicine Bow
Add to Yawgoog's History Milestones Yawgoog alumni staff and campers are invited to help expand this Yawgoog History by sending your memories for consideration as milestones. The webmaster reserves the right to use or not, and to edit any submissions received. Send Yawgoog history timelines to Yawgoog History Editor.